It’s that time of year again, you can feel it in the air…you can smell your wife’s pumpkin spice candle in every. single. room. Either you love it or hate it but … Winter is coming! Just as we want to prepare ourselves for the chillier weather by getting out our warmer coats and boots, maybe even gaining 5 for that extra insulation? We also want to prepare our home for the colder temperatures. A little bit of mindfulness can go a long way and might even help you avoid an unnecessary claim! Here’s a checklist of things you can do inside and outside your home to prepare:
- Take a walk around the outside of your home, inspecting for repairs or damages that need to be addressed.
- Fix any cracks, leaks, or damage to the exterior of your home.
- Check your roof for loose and/or missing shingles and repair.
- Clean up your property, pick up all appliances, toys etc. to clear the space of tripping hazards.
- Clean your gutters and spouts! It’s especially important if you live somewhere where ice can build up.
- Winterize your home – Investigate if you need anything to help prevent heat loss to your home such as weathering strips or caulking windows (this could also lower your heating bill too).
- Drain outdoor taps and shut off the water supply to outdoor taps.
- Change the filter in your furnace – Regular maintenance will extend the life of the furnace, increase efficiency, and clean the air.
- Make sure all your fire alarms, carbon monoxide detectors and fire hydrants are up to date and working.
- Check your pipes indoors for leaks as well and repair
Great job! Now that we’ve worked through the checklist from outside to inside, take a break, put your feet up (with a cup of something warm & yummy) and try to relax knowing that there’s still 53 days until Christmas… *panic laughter*